Thursday, March 19, 2009

Clarification

Okay- I need to correct something I wrote last night. #3 on "The Bad" list-- "Jimmie is still aspirating blood or bleeding into his lungs" may not be accurate. From what mom and I understand now-- the blood they are suctioning out of his ventilator tube is not necessarily coming from out of his lungs. I understand there is a device (like a balloon type thing) that is keeping fluid and blood from running into his lungs from the top- near the ventilator.

The reason the Doctors feel this is not a pulmonary bleed are these:

Jimmie's respiratory function has been improving despite the fact he is still bleeding.
He was even without oxygen support last night for a while.
He's taking more breaths over the ventilator.
He's had 2 or 3 x-rays since this happened and I think the 2nd one had improved from the first and the 3rd was about the same as the 2nd. Which really wouldn't make sense if he was still bleeding into his lungs.
They feel when they listen to his lungs they are sounding less and less wet.
Also they are VERY experienced with pulmonary bleeds in micro-preemies. They say that the blood would be more pink and frothy then it is and that Jimmie would be much LESS stable.

All of this to say- nothing is known FOR SURE but all signs are pointing away from a Pulmonary bleed. And I was most likely mistaken to say that he was still aspirating blood.

So when this "event" occurred he cried really hard and aspirated the blood. They quickly intubated him and protected the top of his lungs. However the blood still kept coming at times pooling in his mouth and running down the back if his throat. As to why the blood is still collecting near his lungs and not his stomach? Rach and Mom spent a long time discussing things yesterday with Jimmie's nurse. This guy was taking care of Jimmie for the first time. He had a very analytical, but open mind and seemed to be a "problem solver" . . . He said he thinks the ventilator tube is acting like a wick and the blood is trickling down and following the tube. Seems like a pretty good explanation to me.

Anyway- since I'm receiving numerous emails and comments that are very educated I thought I'd better clarify.

I have not yet heard how Jimmie is today. I will post later this afternoon and evening with an update.

Thank you so much for your prayers!

Love,
Amber
P.S. Another reason the blood may not be making it's way from Jimmie's mouth to his stomach as easily is he really doesn't swallow very much yet. So he is simply not swallowing the blood.

5 comments:

  1. Amber,

    I am out researching on the internet and found this. I don't know if it will be of much help.

    http://www.grahamsfoundation.org/parenting_a_micropreemie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless Jimmie! We are praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still praying for Jimmie and his parents; I haven't checked back since my first comment as I've been crazy busy at work. I'm very sorry to hear of the turn things have taken but miracles can happen and I pray they'll find (and fix!) the source of the bleeding. Thank you also for your prayers for my friend; she is back home now and has made it to almost 30 weeks, so that's great news. I'll continue praying and checking in as I'm able.

    Jill in San Diego

    ReplyDelete