Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Perspective And The March Of Dimes

Jimmie is doing good. Not much new to report. He's having a bunch of tests tomorrow that will update us on a lot of the specific things we've been praying about. He did have some goop in his eye today. Pray that clears and there is no infection.

So I was thinking some about what I wrote yesterday. I want everyone to know that I don’t take for granted how well Jimmie is doing. I have read many many blogs of these babies and every single one is such a miracle. These babies fight so hard. I’ve read (happy and sad stories with all different outcomes. What strikes me is we just can’t understand in this life-- why some do well and others don’t with everyone in every situation praying , loving and asking for miracles. We fight our best fight praying, having faith and doing everything else we know to do. And then no matter the outcome we choose to love and trust God- believing in his goodness.

I guess my point is I don’t want to sound smug about Jimmie or diminish anyone else and their beautiful preemie’s journey. I know other experienced preemie moms (and NICU moms- in general) are reading this blog and rooting and praying for Jimmie. And Rachael is totally right when she said yesterday she considers herself lucky to be worrying a bit about his nose right now. Others would give anything to be worried about something more or less as trivial as a bit of a deformed septum. And that being said-- I’m sure that is the NICU nurse’s perspective as well. They deal with life and death situations in these babies on a regular basis. I don’t want to sound in any way ungrateful to them. Anyway- Rachael does have this perspective and I need to make sure I always do as well! (-:

Which brings me to “The March Of Dimes”. Their mission as stated on their website:

“Our mission is to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality. We carry out this mission through research, community services, education and advocacy to save babies' lives. March of Dimes researchers, volunteers, educators, outreach workers and advocates work together to give all babies a fighting chance against the threats to their health: prematurity, birth defects, low birthweight.”

I’m sure most of you have heard of this organization. I created a team that anyone can join and walk with me. It’s called “Jimmie’s Team”. You can get sponsors to donate and that’s how you raise money. I’m starting small and just gonna make it a team goal to raise $100.

The March For Babies walk is in the Kansas City Power and Light District Sunday, May 3rd 2009.

14th & Walnut Kansas City, MO 64106
Walk Distance: 1 miles
Registration Time: 8:00AM
Start Time: 10:00 AM
Chapter: Kansas City Division
(913) 469-3611

My team page is
http://www.marchforbabies.org/teams/651716

You can go there to join my team and walk with me or donate etc…

What I’m really hoping to do eventually with the March Of Dimes is find out if we can inspire a move to put a Ronald McDonald House close to Overland Park Regional Hospital. There are only three level 3 NICU’S in the KC area and the other two- St. Lukes and Children’s Mercy have Ronald McDonald houses. Those are still 20 minutes away from OPRH and often full. For those of you that don’t know what a Ronald McDonald House is- the following is from their website: “Many families travel far from home to get treatment for their seriously ill or injured children. The treatment may last a day, a month, or even longer. It's a long time to be away from home, or to divide a family. Ronald McDonald Houses around the world offer families a way to stay together, in proximity to the treatment hospital, and be comfortable and cared for during their stay. “

Rachael mentioned to me that she would love to see this happen!

The other thing is maybe spread the word about the energy work (TKM) that my mom and brother practice. I really do believe this has done a lot of good for Jimmie and for Rachael- in helping her stay pregnant as long as she did. And the importance of good hydration (electrolytes). The product- Vitalyte (I mentioned a couple of times) has also been instrumental in keeping Rachael’s pre-term labor at bay and mine-- with Cole. Since- so far- Jimmie has been so atypical I’m wondering how much TKM and the Vitalyte have contributed. Please don’t think I am down playing prayer when I say this. That is an absolute and a huge factor in our use of TKM and Vitalyte.

So join me and walk or donate/sponsor for Jimmie, Cole, McKenna, Christopher and (babies who are no longer with us)Gabby, Gracie Anne, Stephanie and Landon. All of my babies near and dear to me effected by pre-term delivery and/or birth defects.

I’m excited to see what we can do. (-:

Love,
Amber

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I phrased that sounded all wrong! HAHA The walk and the Ronald McDonald house is a wonderful idea! We'd love to walk with you, but we have church at 10:00 am. If the time changes for any reason, please let us know!

    Love you all,
    Adrian and Janelle

    ReplyDelete